Here in Central Texas, we provide case management support for children with orofacial cleft and their families. Primary medical care is provided by the Cleft Team at Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas. We ensure that the patients and their families have the other kinds of support they need, such as:
- Temporary housing in Austin during treatment and follow-up visits
- Community networking support that enables families just embarking on the journey to connect with and gain coping skills from families who have been there.
- Educational materials for parents and children to help them prepare for the ongoing process involved in treating orofacial cleft.
- Support activities for patients and their families including:
- Camp Amigo – a weekend overnight camp where our patients enjoy outdoor activities, team building, and coming together with other young Texans dealing with orofacial clefts.
- Social events held throughout the year that bring fellowship and fun to patients and their families.
- Educational seminars.
Austin Smiles also offers financial assistance, through the Patient’s Assistance Fund, to families who need supplemental financial aid. We also occasionally provide financial assistance when the Cleft Team needs the services of a healthcare professional outside of our volunteer network.